Saturday, October 22, 2011

wristband modeling

I wanted to make a wristband to work out how it works and how it feels in relation to the pot and base. I started off with a plastersine to model the shape off the band.


I then made up some plaster in order to create a mould for a silicone casting. Plaster was fine because the design had a flat base and therefore a one sided mould was fine. 


I stirred up some plaster powder and water to make the paste.


Before the plaster set, i pressed the plastersine model into the paste so the it was level with the surface. 


After sitting for about 20 minutes, the plaster dried and I was able to remove it from the container. 



I could then peel it out of the plaster which left behind a pretty good mould. 


I then had to mix up the two agents for the silicone. This had to be done really quickly because it goes off in about 6 minutes. 




Then all I had to do was poor it slowly into the mould so that it didn't get any bubble and stick to the plaster. 


The top one is the first silicone band from the first mould. I did another mould with a slightly different shape and I also put two thin wires inside the silicon. This allows me to bend it or squeeze it onto a wrist. The bottom one is two acrylic parts that I dipped in the silicone. This worked ok but it peels off quite quickly. 


No comments:

Post a Comment